OK, so I know that not everyone will have organizing on their resolution list for 2014, but two short tips will apply to any thing you choose to work on!
1. Write it down! Find some place that will not get lost in the shuffle, and write down your goals. I suggest using the short term, mid term and long term format for this. I will give you an example that does not include organizing (although, the act of doing this exercise is in fact organizing, right?) GOAL: Be more active to decrease fatigue.
- Long term -- Be active five days per week. At least two different activities ;-)
- Mid term -- Be active three days per week.
- Short term -- Start with one day per week! Every little bit counts. As with my clients, I don't suggest making too many changes at once. It can be overwhelming and get discouraging if you have troubles making the transition. Be realistic with your goals!
This is a very simple plan here, you can work it much more on paper and looking through the calendar. Remember to plan ahead for obstacles. Vacations, work, family obligations, DO not set yourself up to fail. Give yourself the tools and the plan to succeed!
2. Tell someone about your plans! Get a resolution buddy. Maybe it is a friend who has a similar resolution, someone you talk to often, or not so much. Who ever it is that you pick, ask them to hold you accountable and offer to do the same. Maybe you can set a time to check in with each other each week. I find with myself and my clients, that this is very effective!